What is a "tiehacker"?

"Tiehacker" is a term originating in the Ozark hills of southern Missouri. It referred to a class of people from WAY back in the hills that made a living cutting trees into ties for the railroad. I first heard the term from my wife shortly after we married. I had been working outside all day and was dirty and stinky. When I came inside, she told me I looked like a "tiehacker" and had to get cleaned up. She had learned the word from her father, and thought it just meant "a bum". Never having heard it before, I looked it up. Although I am not really a bum, I thought it was interesting, and I do have a life-long love affair going with the Ozark hills, so ... there you have it!

Friday, January 3, 2014

Saying hello to 2014, and a sad goodbye to a great cousin.

I haven't been posting much, obviously. Sorry about that, folks. I fully intend to be more consistent from now on.

We're starting off the new year with a sad note, unfortunately. My cousin, Vernon Buske of Alhambra, Illinois, passed away Wednesday afternoon (January 1) while taking a nap. He was 81 years young. Vern was a fabulous guy. Full of fun and stories and laughter. He will be sorely missed.


There are so many things that I want to accomplish this year.

1. Expand my garden as much as I can, considering the limited space and lack of exposure to full sun. I figure I can do better than last year, though. 

2. Completely re-vamp the basement storage room to allow for more food storage and better organization.

3. Finally finish that downstairs bedroom closet that the Debster has been after me to do.

4. Become more consistent in church attendance. It was easy to fall out of the habit, especially when I began working straight midnights. 

5. Work on losing weight and becoming healthier. With a fully-equipped YMCA just a quarter-mile from my house, this should be a slam-dunk, if I can just get off my lazy butt.

6. Do more of my own auto maintenance. I used to do almost all of it, but have gotten into the habit the last few years of taking them into the shop for even simple things like oil changes. Boo hiss!!

7. Last, but by no means least, be a better husband. My wife is the greatest treasure I have on earth, and I could, and should, do a better job of treating her that way. I'm not really a jerk, but there is always room for improvement!

There are a lot of other things floating around in my head, but no point in getting too ambitious. I know me too well to do that.

God bless you all!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Say hello, disagree, debate, make a joke. All good. Start calling names or violating the moral law, your comment will be deleted! Have fun! Hope to hear from you.