What is a "tiehacker"?

"Tiehacker" is a term originating in the Ozark hills of southern Missouri. It referred to a class of people from WAY back in the hills that made a living cutting trees into ties for the railroad. I first heard the term from my wife shortly after we married. I had been working outside all day and was dirty and stinky. When I came inside, she told me I looked like a "tiehacker" and had to get cleaned up. She had learned the word from her father, and thought it just meant "a bum". Never having heard it before, I looked it up. Although I am not really a bum, I thought it was interesting, and I do have a life-long love affair going with the Ozark hills, so ... there you have it!

Thursday, March 13, 2014

Muddy spring roads

Most of the roads in Monroe County (IL) are paved now, but there are still a few gravel and dirt roads, here and there. And as we enter a wet and rainy season, I am reminded of an old joke.

One spring day, after a solid week of rain, was riding his horse along the side of a dirt road that had become a virtual sea of mud. He spied what looked to be a fine hat sitting in the middle of the road. Thinking that if he could retrieve it and clean it up a little, it would be a fine addition to his wardrobe, he reached out with a stick to pull it towards himself. 

He was startled when a cry came from the hat. As he drew the hat towards himself, he was even more startled to see a man's head under it, seemingly floating in the mud.

The head turned and looked at him, then greeted him with a cheery "Hello!". 

Holy Moley! 

The farmer gulped,  then rather tentatively replied in kind, and then asked the head if he was OK, or if he needed any help.

The head replied, "Well, I think I am doing well, all things considered, but I'm pretty sure the horse I am sitting on is in trouble down there." 

Till next time,
Ron

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say hello, disagree, debate, make a joke. All good. Start calling names or violating the moral law, your comment will be deleted! Have fun! Hope to hear from you.