What is a "tiehacker"?

"Tiehacker" is a term originating in the Ozark hills of southern Missouri. It referred to a class of people from WAY back in the hills that made a living cutting trees into ties for the railroad. I first heard the term from my wife shortly after we married. I had been working outside all day and was dirty and stinky. When I came inside, she told me I looked like a "tiehacker" and had to get cleaned up. She had learned the word from her father, and thought it just meant "a bum". Never having heard it before, I looked it up. Although I am not really a bum, I thought it was interesting, and I do have a life-long love affair going with the Ozark hills, so ... there you have it!

Sunday, November 26, 2017

"Resilience - Hard-won Wisdom For Living A Better Life" is a GREAT book!

Purchase it HERE


I haven't quite finished reading this, but so far it is one of the best things I have read that wasn't the Bible. And, it is now marked down to ridiculously low price!

This is not "snowflake" material, but rather a gritty, manly, and highly literate and compassionate encouragement for an old friend. As robust as you would expect from a SEAL, but also as literate and intelligent as you would expect from the Rhodes scholar that Greitens also was.

A few years ago, Eric Greitens heard from an old friend of his, "Zach Walker". Greitens and Walker had gone through U.S. Navy Seal "BUD/S" training back in 2001/2002. Now, Walker was having problems, fighting some personal demons. The ensuing correspondence has been collected into this classic. I'll be writing a full review once I've finished reading and digesting it.

And, just for good measure, Mr. Greitens is a proud native of my hometown St. Louis, and is now the Governor of our great state. Best we've had in a very long time, too!

Please, feel free to comment, and pass this on to your friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say hello, disagree, debate, make a joke. All good. Start calling names or violating the moral law, your comment will be deleted! Have fun! Hope to hear from you.