What is a "tiehacker"?

"Tiehacker" is a term originating in the Ozark hills of southern Missouri. It referred to a class of people from WAY back in the hills that made a living cutting trees into ties for the railroad. I first heard the term from my wife shortly after we married. I had been working outside all day and was dirty and stinky. When I came inside, she told me I looked like a "tiehacker" and had to get cleaned up. She had learned the word from her father, and thought it just meant "a bum". Never having heard it before, I looked it up. Although I am not really a bum, I thought it was interesting, and I do have a life-long love affair going with the Ozark hills, so ... there you have it!

Thursday, February 18, 2021

Re-blogging: Continuing the Story: Praying the Bible: Psalm 103

Continuing the Story: Praying the Bible: Psalm 103: Several years ago, my pastor introduced our congregation to the book Praying the Bible  by Donald Whitney during our prayer emphasis month. ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say hello, disagree, debate, make a joke. All good. Start calling names or violating the moral law, your comment will be deleted! Have fun! Hope to hear from you.