What is a "tiehacker"?

"Tiehacker" is a term originating in the Ozark hills of southern Missouri. It referred to a class of people from WAY back in the hills that made a living cutting trees into ties for the railroad. I first heard the term from my wife shortly after we married. I had been working outside all day and was dirty and stinky. When I came inside, she told me I looked like a "tiehacker" and had to get cleaned up. She had learned the word from her father, and thought it just meant "a bum". Never having heard it before, I looked it up. Although I am not really a bum, I thought it was interesting, and I do have a life-long love affair going with the Ozark hills, so ... there you have it!

Thursday, May 28, 2020

Backyard swimming pool issues. First-world problems, ya know?


My great-grandparents, Heie and Helena Jansen

Good evening, everyone.

It's been raining and storming off and on all day, so not able to get a whole awful lot accomplished.

The Debster and I finally got our pool set up in the backyard the other day. The fifteen-foot diameter monster takes up a sizable chunk of the tiny backyard we have. Anyway, we've been working on getting it filled, and are about 3/4 of the way there. 

We're seeing one issue that we HOPE doesn't turn serious on us. Turns out the yard wasn't quite as flat and level as it appeared. There is about a 6 inch difference in the water levels from one side to the other. So once it's filled, one side will be filled to the brim, and the opposite side will have 6 or 7 inches yet to go. 

The real problem is, the opening for the filter pump is kind of high up on the wrong side. So we're crossing our fingers that the water level will be high enough for the pump and filter to work. If it isn't, then we are faced with draining the pool, and then take on either the back-breaking chore of using a shovel to dig out, by hand, the whole area to level it off, or to turn the pool around to put the pump on the lower side. Problem with doing that is that the pump's electric cord may not be long enough to reach the GFI outlet closest to the pool.

Speaking of that outlet, it doesn't even exist yet. I'm hoping we can tap the existing wiring going to the storage shed. There's a perfect place to put the outlet on the outside wall of the shed, where the wiring conduit goes through. But, we don't know if the existing circuit will be able to handle the load.

My handyman nephew has promised to check it out for me, and get an outlet installed even if he has to put in new wiring or something. The problem is, he is highly undependable. We can never be sure he will show up when he says he will. Today is Thursday, and he had promised to come this past Tuesday. Haven't heard a word from him. 

We may have to fork out some money to have an electrician come out and do this, but when I broached this idea to our landlord, he balked. (He is my brother-in-law and father of the wayward handyman nephew.) Not because we wanted him to pay for it, that's on us. But because he doesn't want "outsiders" to be working on his property. He's an odd duck about that. Always has been.

Well, that's enough of my first-world problems.

Thanks for reading! Don't forget to subscribe, and comment below.

Ron out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say hello, disagree, debate, make a joke. All good. Start calling names or violating the moral law, your comment will be deleted! Have fun! Hope to hear from you.