What is a "tiehacker"?

"Tiehacker" is a term originating in the Ozark hills of southern Missouri. It referred to a class of people from WAY back in the hills that made a living cutting trees into ties for the railroad. I first heard the term from my wife shortly after we married. I had been working outside all day and was dirty and stinky. When I came inside, she told me I looked like a "tiehacker" and had to get cleaned up. She had learned the word from her father, and thought it just meant "a bum". Never having heard it before, I looked it up. Although I am not really a bum, I thought it was interesting, and I do have a life-long love affair going with the Ozark hills, so ... there you have it!

Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Interesting links (Trigger warning: they are political!)

Peter Heck writes at Disrn: Opinion: Riots aren’t the “language of the unheard,” they’re the language of the thug. It's pretty good:
I admit that I could be totally misreading my fellow Americans, but placing my figurative finger on the common man's pulse, I don't get a strong sense that many of us are into violent riots. I think most citizens regardless of gender, ethnicity, race, and socioeconomic background thought this was bad:

[He follows this with several graphic video clips of rioting and mayhem, both from BLM/Antifa, and from the mess last week at the US Capital.]
Read it all!

Here's a great one from Laura Mize, also at Disrn: OH governor signs bill banning telemedicine abortions
This is truly good news, a step in the right direction in the fight to protect the unborn.

While you're at Disrn, check some of the other links as well. Lots of good stories there, such as the fake Chuck Norris at the riot and V.P. Mike Pence refusing to invoke the 25th Amendment.

Here's another good one, from Oren Cass at the American Compass website: Where Do We Go From Here?.
Here's a sample:
I often compare President Trump to an earthquake—a costly disaster, but one that exposes structures outdated or sloppily built and provides the opportunity to improve upon them in the rebuilding process. We are living now through the final tremors, which can do most damage because they shake foundations already weakened by what has transpired. Trump’s actions and inactions in the election’s aftermath and especially in the last week are impeachable offenses, but the Congress’s decision whether to proceed is political and prudential in character rather than legal, and impeachment and removal is more complicated than tweeting “Impeach. Remove.” I believe he should be removed as soon as possible on principle, as precedent, and because the benefits outweigh the costs, but I must confess to having weak confidence in that third judgment and I also find persuasive Philip Klein’s argument that a slow, post-inauguration process might be most appropriate. Regardless, I consider intemperate the suggestion that this is an easy decision or that only one plausible position exists. A fine example of a healthier politics would be an acceptance on all sides that “remove the president in the week his term ends” is a proposition on which reasonable people might differ.
As you can tell, it is not very flattering to the president.
Read it all!

I could add a lot more, but that's enough for today.

This picture gives you an idea of why I am leaving Facebook!


Please comment below. And keep it civil, folks! Disagreement and debate are fine, name-calling and so forth, not acceptable, and may be deleted.
Don't forget to subscribe for email alerts if you haven't already!

Love y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say hello, disagree, debate, make a joke. All good. Start calling names or violating the moral law, your comment will be deleted! Have fun! Hope to hear from you.