What is a "tiehacker"?

"Tiehacker" is a term originating in the Ozark hills of southern Missouri. It referred to a class of people from WAY back in the hills that made a living cutting trees into ties for the railroad. I first heard the term from my wife shortly after we married. I had been working outside all day and was dirty and stinky. When I came inside, she told me I looked like a "tiehacker" and had to get cleaned up. She had learned the word from her father, and thought it just meant "a bum". Never having heard it before, I looked it up. Although I am not really a bum, I thought it was interesting, and I do have a life-long love affair going with the Ozark hills, so ... there you have it!

Sunday, January 24, 2021

Sunday, January 24: Verse Of The Day; Ron's Roundup; This Day In History; humor

Verse Of The Day,
from BibleGateway.com.

"Brethren, even if anyone is caught in any trespass, you who are spiritual, restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness; each one looking to yourself, so that you too will not be tempted." Galatians 6:1 (NASB 1995)

This is short but to the point.
Sunday Firesides: Profanity Is Performative
by Brett and Kate McKay via The Art of Manliness

Caroline Furlong links to this article, which is a truly heartwarming story!

"British war veteran Sir Samuel Falle, one of 422 officers and sailors of the British Navy rescued by a Japanese warship during World War II, visited Japan and placed flowers on the grave of the ship’s commander ..."

Is God disciplining me? Short answer: I most certainly hope so!
Michael Kelly discusses this topic. (He came to the same conclusion that I did. Nice!)
Check out the 17th century minister William Bates also on this topic. Those old guys were quite wordy, but are worth more their weight in gold when it comes to wisdom and godliness.

One Surprising Mark of Spiritual Maturity
Here's another one from Michael Kelly, who is quickly becoming one of my favorite bloggers.

Growing in Maturity
Tom Ascol discusses a related topic in this post from Founders Ministries.

If any of you had been following me when I was still posting on Facebook*, you'd know that I've long been a strong advocate for being careful to speak only that which is true and edifying, and to stay as far away as possible from slandering and libeling people, from rabble-rousing, and from "sharing" things that are (probably) not true, or that serve only to shout into the echo chamber. Well,
Joel Arnold beats that same drum in this post.

* I deactivated my account a couple weeks ago, but I am still on Messenger, for the moment at least.

January 24, 1848 marks the beginning of the California Gold Rush. The inimitable Tara Ross has an article up today, "This Day in History: The California Gold Rush", that tells the tale of 

"James W. Marshall was a carpenter who had been working with a local ranch owner to build a sawmill. When Marshall showed up at work on the morning of January 24, he saw something glittering in a water channel that he’d been creating under the mill wheel. It looked like gold."

 


That's all for now, folks. Love y'all!
The Tiehacker, and the Debster, signing off ...

PS - Don't forget to share this, comment, and subscribe!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say hello, disagree, debate, make a joke. All good. Start calling names or violating the moral law, your comment will be deleted! Have fun! Hope to hear from you.