What is a "tiehacker"?

"Tiehacker" is a term originating in the Ozark hills of southern Missouri. It referred to a class of people from WAY back in the hills that made a living cutting trees into ties for the railroad. I first heard the term from my wife shortly after we married. I had been working outside all day and was dirty and stinky. When I came inside, she told me I looked like a "tiehacker" and had to get cleaned up. She had learned the word from her father, and thought it just meant "a bum". Never having heard it before, I looked it up. Although I am not really a bum, I thought it was interesting, and I do have a life-long love affair going with the Ozark hills, so ... there you have it!

Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Nothing special to write about? Really? Does an inauguration count as special? Or good TV?


What to write about today?

Not like there's nothing really important happening, after all. I mean, so there's some sort of whoop-ti-do happening in DC, right? A new President or something? It's not like that doesn't happen every few years, right?

Well, alright, if'n y'all insist. It's about 9AM Central as I write this; President Trump is either on his way to Florida, or already there. I'm not following the news that close, ya see. Unlike most every President in history, he has refused to attend the swearing-in of his successor. Kinda childish, if you ask me, but hey, who am I to judge?

President-Elect Biden will lose the "-Elect" part of the title in about two hours, in a Washington that is virtually shut down and militarized in a way not seen since probably 1864. For the first time in living memory the National Mall will not be filled with thousands upon thousands of spectators. Instead, it will be populated almost exclusively with tens of thousands of flags.

For the first time in history, a woman, and a black woman at that, and a black woman with Asian ancestry at THAT! will be sworn in as Vice-President. Can anyone say, "intersectionality"? Sure you can! Try it. Doesn't it just roll right off the tongue? Doesn't it just sing? Sure it does. Yeah. OK.

In about three or four hours, a dozen or so Executive Orders will be signed, rolling back many of the Executive Orders signed by the previous administration. Some of which had rolled back Executive Orders put in place by the administration prior to THAT. (An administration that had as second-in-command the new Elected Executive Dictator. But who's counting?)

Aaannnd ... the 2024 primary season begins. <Heavy sigh>

Well, The Debster and I have watched the first couple episodes of "All Things Great and Small". Gotta say, perhaps the best thing on television these days. Wholesome, some humor, beautiful countryside. Even just a little romance but not enough to gum up the thing. Check it out!

I've been reading "The Huegonot Chronicles: Books 1 - 3" by Paul C. R. Monk. Pretty good so far, not quite half-way through. Seems to be well-researched, with a lot of small historical details adding flavor. My one and only quibble so far is that the characters, though well-developed, are a bit too one-sided. The protagonists, French Huguenots Jacob Delpech and his wife Jeanne, with their family and friends, are so noble and good they make my teeth hurt, as someone once said. Whereas the antagonists, their Catholic persecutors, are completely bad people. There is very little nuance. This is why I'd rate it 4 stars rather than 5, at least so far. I'll give it a full review once I've completed the trilogy.

Well, that's enough for today. You go do your thing, and The Debster and I will do ours. See you next time! Love y'all!

Don't forget to comment, share, and subscribe!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say hello, disagree, debate, make a joke. All good. Start calling names or violating the moral law, your comment will be deleted! Have fun! Hope to hear from you.